Ronald DeFeo Jr. shot and killed six members of his family, in the house at 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville, NY.
The Amityville Horror: A True Story was written by Jay Anson, and was published in September 1977. The book centers around the Lutz family and the house located at 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville, NY. The Lutz family was said to have purchased the six bedroom house for $80,000.
According to the book, the Lutz's also acquired the furniture of the previous owners for an extra $400. A friend of the family heard of the house's history and insisted the house be blessed.
Some of the paranormal activity mentioned in the book included:
- father waking up at 3:15 each morning (the time the murders took place)
- cold spots
- strange odors
- swarms of flies
- strange sounds
- glowing red eyes
- slime oozing from the walls
- cloven hoof prints in the snow outside the house
There has been much debate on whether The Amityville Horror: A True Story was actually a true story to begin with. Some of the things skeptics have brought up have been:
- the book looks too much like what occurred in The Exorcist
- research of documented events in the house do not coincide with what the book claims
- the priest that blessed the house has given different accounts of what took place
- there was no snow on the ground the day the cloven hoof prints were supposed to have been seen
- changes were made in the text with different editions of the book
Also, the events recorded in the book were said to take place over the course of 28 days, with the Lutz's moving out January 14, 1976. The book was released in September 1977. The author was said to have used 45 hours of recorded tapes on which to base his story. From what I have learned during the past year while I've studied the craft of writing, it takes a lot longer than a year and some change to come up with a novel of historical facts.
What are your thoughts?